Sunday, December 15, 2013

The Hummingbird




 
A friend of mine told me about the "hummingbird theory" he uses to keep going every day.

He has been dealing with Sarcoidosis for a couple of decades now, and suffers much of the same pain, fatigue, and other disabiling symptoms as me, so I often get extremely useful advice from him. 

He also is great at bringing me back to earth when I'm flying off the handle due to pain, medicine issues, and all the other issues that can cause a quick dive into emotional and pain overdrive.

His "hummingbird theory" came up when I was frustrated and having a hard time physically and most definitely emotionally.  
 
I wanted to know HOW  the heck he deals with this disease AND he takes care of an aging parent. 
 (I am fortunate that my kids are grown!)
 
He said (from my memory that is known to be bad- so maybe it's better to say: "what I got out of it")
photoquoto.com/tag/hummingbirdwas:  "Hummingbirds technically shouldn't be able to fly like they do, but they don't know it, so they just do.."
Really powerful words when you're sick of being sick and feel like giving up. 
 
...just do...
 
I have to do what I need to do to the best of my abilities, and stop thinking or worrying about what I can't do. 
 
I try so hard to be positive all the time, and admittedly have my "down" times, but I do think I worry too much about tomorrow or upset at the things I miss out on, instead of just doing my best and being happy with that. 

I know I can't physically do all the things I used to love- like mountain biking-but I suppose I CAN work on finding new things to love to do....
 
photoquoto.com/tag/hummingbirdMaybe I can't go out with my friends when I'd like- but I CAN schedule an alternative back up plan incase I'm having a bad day, like ordering take out instead of going out to dinner.... 
Maybe I can't control what meds my insurance approves, but I CAN use the techniques  and exercises I've learned from physical therapy.
I DO have alternative pain cream, a interferential TENS unit, and a great friends that give knowledgeable suggestions that usually help.
 
This illness has actually BLESSED me with so many friends [that are unfortunately also suffering from chronic pain and/or a chronic illness(es)].
 
But there is nothing like having other people who REALLY KNOW how you feel, who can give helpful advice, be an ear when you need one, or tell you that you need to JUST BE A HUMMINGBIRD!
 
 










No comments:

Post a Comment